Let curiosity move you to major or minor in chemistry!
As a chemistry major you will gain a broad knowledge in the six major areas of chemistry: chemical education, organic, inorganic, physical, analytical and biochemistry.
Your core curriculum includes fundamental courses in chemistry, math and physics. Beyond that, dive deep and explore your particular interests while you discover the process for scientific inquiry, become proficient in modern laboratory procedures, understand the practical and ethical applications of chemical principles in society, and take part in cutting-edge research projects.
In the College of Arts and Sciences, we know experience is valuable and goes beyond the classroom. We strive to help you connect your academics with research, internships, education abroad, service learning and leadership experiences. Take advantage of opportunities in chemistry such as:
- Studying abroad in Peru with The GREEN Program water resource management
- Serving as the UNL Chemistry Club president
- Interning with Novartis, a global healthcare company
- Researching the “Development of Organic Radical Contrast Agents for Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cancer”
- Volunteering with JDRF International
A major in chemistry opens the door to many careers. Some may be obvious, including pharmaceutical development, chemical research and manufacturing, analysis, and science education. Environmental science, medicine, pharmacy, forensics, plant science, and law are not as obvious. Here are examples of recent graduates’ employment:
- Associate Scientist I / TEVA PHARMACEUTICAL
- Chemical Analyst / PURAC AMERICA
- Chemical Contractor / ZOETIS
- Chemistry Lab Technician / ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY
- Civilian Scientist / UNITED STATES NAVY
- Laboratory Technician / ENTHONE
- Principle Scientist 1 / NOVARTIS
- Product Associate / LI-COR BIOSCIENCES
- Scientist / CELERION
- Quality Management Chemist / CARGILL